Monday 14 July 2014

Post Challenge Update

It's been a busy few weeks for Anna and I since the end of the challenge. We've moved into a new accessible house and with it life has become easier. So, in addition to catching up with work I've had some time to put to accessibility matters.

I've now undertaken audits on three of the RSBP Reserves. Saltholme in Cleveland, Fairburn Ings in Yorkshire and Burton Meer Wetlands on the Dee estuary. Lots of recommendations for improvements but a wheelchair could still have a good day out at Saltholme and on the Dee. A big kissing gate issue to resolve at Fairburn but that's exactly what we raised the money for. Once the kissing gates are replaced this will be incredibly accessible site.

I was also asked to visit Lane End Farm Trust at Abney in the Peak District. This is an amazing farm for children in wheelchairs and other disadvantaged youngsters. I was proud to be able to advise on wheelchair access to a proposed new wildlife hide. Good luck to Vivienne and team on the fund raising. I also met the incredible lady from accessible Derbyshire and I am hopping to work with her to design and promote accessible routes on the NT/RSPB Eastern Moors.

This week I am meeting a company called Community Experience who had been awarded a grant to make a film about accessibility issues in the countryside. We are planning to use UU/RSPB Dovestone as the venue for the film and in doing so will be seeking to both enhance the accessibility experience on site and promote and encourage people to visit.

Once again a huge thank you to everyone for your support.

5 comments:

  1. Great news to hear that you and Anna have settled into your new home, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get my wife some help to get around. She just had surgery and I want to make sure that she is taken care of. I think that it would help her get around a lot easier. http://www.accessrenovations.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=9

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this challenge was so inspiring. Congratulations on completing it! What kind of wheelchair did you use for it?
    http://www.southwestmedical.com/category/Wheelchair-Parts/517

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing quest you have completed, i am hoping to do the same this summer, i to have mnd, if this post reaches anyone i would be grateful if you could email me on jason@cossie.biz.

    ReplyDelete